Sunday 29 November 2009

Yorkshire and Christmas

I arrived in Yorkshire yesterday morning to stay with my parents for nearly a week. Yesterday my 3 nieces and nephew were staying. So not much of a rest, but still really lovely to spend some time with them all. The play centre we took them to was an experience I wouldn't want to repeat every weekend! They loved it of course, but the noise! Not the most salubrious of surrounding for the adults to wait in either. The food was good though. Although you could definitely tell I was up north, I ordered a cappuccino and they guy serving asked me if I'd like anything to eat with it, nothing unusual there but the food he offered me was chips! Would you like chips with that cappuccino, love. It has a ring to it!

Today I met up with my friend Ruth for a coffee. The weather was abysmal, icy, driving rain so it was nice to have my first mince pie of the season and a latte. Lovely.

This week we plan to visit Chatsworth House for their "Candle light Christmas" which should really feel like Christmas is near, and of course see how the other half celebrate Christmas! At this time of year, I like to get out Stations of the Sun by Ronald Hutton, an excellent book which provides a really good grounding in how the rituals of the year have been celebrated in the Britain of the past. It really shows expertly how pagan, folk and Christian beliefs have been woven into our festivities today. It also shows how our modern celebrations incorporate the influences of many other nations. It doesn't just cover Christmas of course, but the whole year. Anyway well worth a read if you are interested in the history of "real" people, and its legacy today.

I have a busy week but a restful one, as well as visiting Chatsworth I should also be visiting my Great Aunts later this week over in Stoke on Trent. So should blog later in the week I am sure.

No comments: