Monday 2 November 2009

Christmas cooking

I have decided this year to actually try to bake and make many of the Christmas goodies I'd just usually buy from the super market. This isn't because of the credit crunch or anything although it will help I am sure, but because I now have to restrict my diet and really monitor the amount of fat I eat. So I am planning to make my own mince pies, Christmas cake and maybe even pudding. As I type this I have my first batch of fat free mince meat bubbling on the stove! The flat smells delicious, orange, apple, spice and alcohol!

It's a simple recipe, I've only made a small batch to begin with to see what it is like. I've used:

125g of brown sugar
125ml of cider (I am using up some pear cider we had so it may not be ideal - I'll let you all know)
500g cooking apples (lovely British Bramleys)
peel of one orange (which you boil first for 5mins to get rid of toxins)
Juice and zest of half a lemon
75g currants
75g raisins
35g glacier cherries
35g blanched chopped almonds
1/4 tea spoon of mixed spice
1/4 tea spoon of cinnamon
pinch of ground ginger
3 table spoons of brandy

After boiling and cooling the peel, dissolve the sugar in the cider on a low heat, then add all the fruit, nuts and spices and simmer for 30 mins until mushy! Then add the brandy and allow to cool.

I have seen the recipe attributed to Nigella Lawson, and a number of other TV chefs. I'll let you all know how it turns out!

1 comment:

Rob said...

Sounds really good! I love Christmas cooking... As soon as the clocks go back I start wanting to put mixed spice in everything.