Saturday 14 November 2009

Storm

Ever since Michael Fish and his fellow weather men and women, failed to give us sufficient warning of the 1987 hurricane which hit the British Isles and caused death and damage, the UK Meteorological Office has been rather generous in issuing weather warnings, in my opinion. Then we had the snow chaos in London in 2003 when motorways were blocked and motorists trapped in their cars. That lead to even more cautiousness on behalf of the Met Office.

This means that I tend to not believe the weather warnings issued, though I still read them. I am British after all and so obsessed with the weather!

Any way the weather presenters had been bigging up this storm which was due to hit southern England over night including London. It would be the worst storm of the year and maybe the worst we have had for a couple of years.

Well it did hit as predicted and kept me awake on and off from about 4am. There was wind, rain, hail, lightning and thunder all you could want from a storm. The squally showers, as they call them, are still washing in now at 3pm, but the worst seems to be over.

I had a hair dressers appointment this morning, sods law, and 5 mins before leaving the house I recorded what the rain was like. The video below was taken from one of our upstairs bedrooms.
Hopefully it will give you an idea of what the weather was like and why I didn't get much sleep this morning. I have to say this shower was rather tame compared to others!



I guess it goes with the territory of living in a flat with attic rooms!

I have to say when I went out into the storm it reminded me of waiting for the school bus in Cornwall, this kind of weather is all to common down there!

No comments: