Tuesday 24 November 2009

Camp Christmas


I am not known for my restraint in taste when it comes to Christmas (or anything really!) This year I decided not to do my usual and by loads of new baubles for our Christmas; last year we had so many I couldn't physically put all of them on the tree! It was a real dilemma deciding which sparkly and twinkly ornaments to leave in the Christmas bag. So this year I have limited myself to buying a few non tree related decorations. So pictured above is my plunder. A pink feather boa wearing glittery stag, with a young pink sparkly deer with out a boa so a naked deer I suppose? There is also a candle decoration to end all Christmas candle decorations, it is resplendent with fake fir, apples, red berries, baubles, boxed presents including tartan ones. My Mum thinks you should always have a nice bit of tartan at Christmas.

We haven't put our decorations up yet although I am chomping at the bit to get them out. I really like being totally unsophisticated and breaking out the Christmas deckies before December. I know its naff but I celebrate the winter solstice as much as Christmas its self and welcome the brightness and cheer in such gloomy times. Up until 17th Century churches and communal buildings would be decorated from 1st December until 1st February to warm up the dark winter nights. Sounds splendid to me!

Oh and Christmas related literary trivia of the day: the first use of the word bauble, like so many other English words, is recorded in Shakespeare! I can't complete the fact because for the life of me I can't remember which play!

No comments: