Monday 9 November 2009

Tokyo Sky Tree

To follow on from my last blog entry - I have just been reading about the Tokyo Sky Tree which will be when completed twice the height of the Tokyo Tower, pictured in my previous blog entry. The Sky Tree is needed for Japan's digital switch over (see it's not just us Brits switching to digital) because the Tokyo Tower is just not tall enough to blast out those digital TV signals across Tokyo.

The Tokyo Sky Tree is being built out near Chiba, and when competed will be a whopping 630 meters tall! There is a great picture of what it will look like, cherry blossom at it's base and all, on the Wikipedia page I have linked to above. You can also check out a web cam of progress here.

It's due to be completed in December 2011 and opened officially in April 2012. I think a trip out to Japan at Christmas 2011 or for my birthday 2012 would be just great! On my list of places to visit next time are:

Mt Fuji
Kobe
Shkoku

Of course another trip would include southern Kyushu and Okinawa but that might have to wait until even later!

No comments: