Wednesday 21 October 2009

Volcano

Today we visited Mt Aso, Japan's most active volcano and one of the worlds largest calderas. Except Aso-san is in fact 5 volcanoes surrounding the huge flat caldera caused by the last huge, super eruption. Above is the view of the active crater as you look down on it from one of the viewing platforms. The picture shows the poisonous steam and fumes which are emitted by the crater. But I am getting ahead of myself...

Our day started early we had left the hotel by 7:40 and were on the train to Aso by 8:30. Today's train was bright red on the outside and consisted of just 2 carriages. Everything in the train was totally immaculate as ever. I particularly liked the checked tie back curtains. Jase took the picture of me below on the train.
It is an hour's journey to Aso town which is situated in the flat caldera plain below the 5 peaks of Mt Aso. It seemed a bit of a one horse town, very quiet and laid back. Unfortunately some of the tourists who also wanted to get the bus to Mount Aso like us, were not so laid back. In fact one man of indeterminate nationality - (all I can say is he spoke English and German but was not English or America and I don't think he was German either,) was so rude! He was charging about the place, barking orders at the polite and helpful station staff as if they were his slaves and shouted continuously at the taxi driver who he had ordered to translate for him. The thought of having to go up to the volcano's edge with such an obnoxious and discourteous man was not an appealing one. His wife who appeared to be long suffering spent most of the time as we waited for the bus, running away from him and hiding! He would bellow her name and order her back to his side when he noticed she had sidled off.

We caught the bus soon after arriving at the train station. It took about 30 mins to drive up the side of the volcano on the bus, my ears popping all the way. I was able to get the following picture from the moving bus' open window, so I am very pleased with it given the circumstances!
At the Mt Aso centre we were informed that due to the wind direction and the nature of the poisonous gases the viewing platform for the crater was closed. The crater can be reached by road or by cable car. Both the road and the cable cars were shut. During the day the crater viewing area can close and open many times depending on the conditions so we decided to be patient and wait. The obnoxious man was far too impatient to wait and stormed off as soon as we got there, not to be seen again. After about an hour of waiting many people seemed to drift off, but Jase and I stayed. One of the guides from the centre came over to talk to me, she was doubtful if the crater would open any time soon. She was very helpful and seemed to enjoy talking to me she trying out her English me my basic Japanese

We had an early lunch of udon at the Mt Aso restaurant and after eating our meal an announcement came over the PA system saying that part of the crater viewing area was now open. Our patience had paid off, we had waited 2 and a half hours but within 10 minutes had caught the cable car and were looking into the boiling sulphurous lake in one of Aso - san's craters. As pictured below.

The guide we had spoken to earlier saw us get off the cable car as she drove back down the volcano in a car, she waved happily at us, obviously pleased that the earlier bleak outlook had been proved wrong!

Jase took some really great pictures which you can look at on his flickr page as usual and there are more of my pics on flickr too.

Although the wind had died down slightly and the fumes had eased you could really taste the sulphur and the conditions were rated as dangerous for anyone with chest or heart conditions. I did cough quite a lot and by the time we left could feel my lungs tickling slightly like when you are recovering form a cold or flu! It was also pretty chilly at the top of the volcano in spite of all the steam! Once we were down in Aso town again it was lovely and warm though!

Aso-san isn't always as gentle as today and dotted around the crater viewing areas are little shelters and hides for you to seek refuge in if Aso-san decides to start hurling rocks down on you!

After our spell at the crater we went back to Aso town and I tried a local speciality of beef made from brown cows, a bit like highland cows. The beef is shredded and served in a thick stew with rice and seasonal salad or veggies. It was delicious. I took some pictures of these tasty cows which are on my flickr page. To think I was vegetarian for over 3 years!

We were back at the hotel in Kumamoto by 7pm although it felt a lot later. All in all it has been a very satisfying day. I have waited 35 years to see an active volcano up close and I have now. All I can say is I now want to see lava flows so I think it will have to be a trip to Hawaii - maybe a bit sooner than another 35 years!

Tomorrow we shall visit the castle and a large park in Kumamoto.

No comments: