Saturday 17 October 2009

Nagasaki peace park

Today Jase and I went to the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb museum and peace park. It's a hard subject to write about. When we visited Hiroshima last year we visited the museum and peace park. The museum at Nagasaki was no less shocking, bewildering and saddening for having already visited Hiroshima, in fact it made it more moving.

The museum has a few exhibits which can be touched (they are clearly designed for visually impaired people but any one can touch.) It is still fairly rare for me to find tactile displays in British museums. No matter how much I see to touch something does make it incredibly real for me. (As I am sure it does for those with full vision.) There was a roof tile which had been transformed by the heat of the blast from smooth to a rough surface like a cats tongue. There was also a cider bottle which had been melted and reformed as it cooled into a strange mangled and smooth shape but still kept it's hollowness. It looked like it was made of toffee.

The peace park is beautiful and you leave the museum and parks with an overwhelming feeling of how pointless and futile war of any kind is and yet most of the human race is inextricably caught up in the web of destructiveness.
Just outside the Peace Park we met another cat, this one was rather friendly and happy for his picture to be taken. I think she may be a female so I shall call her Nora Neko (neko being Japanese for cat.)
I took more pictures which you can see at my flickr page here

No comments: