Tuesday 14 January 2014

Winter blues

I've been struggling with my mood over the last few weeks. Feeling down and of course I worry that I'm in for a bout of depression that's going to be hard to shake. I know I'm not the only one. A lot of friends and work colleagues have commented that this time of year can really make small obstacles in life seem bigger and more gloomy. 

I've found writing a poem a day and keeping my blog have helped me focus on each day in a constructive way. To find something positive in each day is so important and sometimes so difficult. I also have a tendency to burrow into myself when I'm feeling like this and cut myself off from others. As long as this doesn't go on for too long it's ok.

I've had a couple of days off work with a migraine, undoubtedly caused by my low mood. But the time at home has helped me get a bit of perspective. All I can do is take each day at a time. 

So the positive thing I'm going to blog about today is our two cats :

Lumpy

and Kasumi 

I am certain that the cats know when I'm feeling low and poorly. Lumpy was sleeping on my feet earlier and Kasumi fell asleep on my lap today! She is the most loving cat but rarely falls asleep on my lap. She prefers to sleep on her various blankets around the house. Like most female cats she is hard wired to find different and secret sleeping places changing them every few days. This is because if she had kittens it would be harder for any predator to find them. But today she just snuggled up with me and fell asleep. 

I also have to add to the bright things that happened today the text conversation I had with my brother about mood boosting foods like bananas :-) Also watching original series Star Trek and eating pizza (totally ignoring all the good advice about good mood food - sorry!) 

No comments: