Monday 6 January 2014

San Diego - Rainbow Warrior

As I mentioned before our hotel in San Diego was on the marina which has the embarcadero running along it pretty much from the airport to the Coronado bridge. One day we decided to walk along the embarcadero past the USS Midway towards the airport. After going past the Star of India (another maritime attraction) we came across the Rainbow Warrior, green Peace's famous ship. Below is a photo of me standing next to it. 


I was very excited to see the Rainbow Warrior (well the 3rd incarnation of it) As a child I thought it must be so cool to be a Green Peace activist. I also remember the bewilderment and horror I had when the French secret service bombed the first Rainbow Warrior in New Zealand killing a photographer. I was 11 and it made me realise that actual modern European nations could act like bullies not just something from the past. 

Unfortunately we couldn't look around the boat as it was closed when we went past but the Sunday before we arrived they had been showing people around. 

We did see the Rainbow Warrior sail out to sea, from our bedroom window, after Thanksgiving. Off to protest against illegal fishing and waste dumping. 

No comments: