Tuesday 17 April 2012

Back to Moorfields hospital and April showers

I ended up back at Moorfields eye hospital again yesterday. Those of you who follow my blog regularly know that since 2 lots of eye surgery last summer I've had some problems with inflammation in my left eye, double vision and pain. I've been taking steroid eye drops for a while now to control it.

Recently I noticed a blurriness in my central vision in my left eye. But it went away after a few days. Then yesterday suddenly the blurry blob in my central vision came back and was joined by another blurry blob. The effect is quite disorientating. When I was waiting to cross the road yesterday approaching cars would disappear into my blurry blind spot - very scary.

As always the hospital staff were great. The Dr I saw spent a long time examining my eye and even took a special 3d image of my retina with some fancy imaging machine. It showed that I have Cystoid Macula Oedema - swellings within my retina. It's painless, probably caused by inflammation from the op last year but it can cause permanent sight loss if not treated or if it's complicated in some way.

Treatment is steroid & anti-inflammatory eyedrops to begin with 2 types 4x a day. Hopefully that will do the trick but if not there is other treatments like steroid injections. Hopefully the eyedrops will work and the blurry blob blind spots in my central vision will go too. But it can take several months.

It's all been a lot to take in and I'm trying to get used to my new blurry blob vision! Close to stuff is easier but distance is harder as the blobs can blank out more stuff in the distance. If you know what I mean?

On a brighter note after some heavy rain I popped out into the garden to take some photos which are below. Tried a different lens which really worked well.

No comments: