Saturday 26 November 2011

Alligators and Thanksgiving

Earlier in the week we went on a trip to the Everglades to see alligators and a boat trip around Miami. We were driven about all day in a little mini bus.

We went on a airboat trip around the Everglades and saw a few alligators including babies out in the river. (The Everglades aren't a swamp as such but a series of rivers apparently) the airboat went quite fast in places and I was a bit scared.

We then saw an animal show, which basically involved a bloke showing us a scorpion, toad, lizard & alligator. I've got more photos on my actual camera but I can't upload those until I get home. Below there should be a photo of a baby alligator. For lunch I had the alligator tail platter. It was like KFC but more chewy. Yep like just about every kind of unusual meat, alligator tastes a bit like chicken!

We were then driven back to Miami to go on our boat trip. The boat took us to see various islands including Fisher and Star island. It was mainly to see the homes of the rich and famous. Jase took lots of pics which I'll link to when we get home. But below is a photo I took of Miami Beach Marina.

When we got back to the hotel we had champagne and chocolate strawberries waiting for us in our room as a honeymoon gift from the hotel.

The next day I unfortunately got food poisoning, probably from the raw eggs in a chocolate mousse I had at a steak restaurant. So spent 24 hours in a lot of pain and unable to eat. The first meal I ate was Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday evening at the hotel. I couldn't eat a great deal but managed to enjoy the Thanksgiving fare especially the mac and cheese. We then watched Charlie Brown, a Thanksgiving TV tradition.

On Black Friday, we went to Macy's shopping. Black Friday is like the US version of our January sales. Anyway Macy's on South Beach wasn't busy and I picked up a few bargains, a red handbag, purple purse, and two pairs of jeans for less than £60!

I still wasn't feeling 100% until today when we went to the News cafe and I managed to eat a lasagne and share a slice of Key Lime Pie with Jase.

No comments: