Thursday 17 November 2011

America

I'm writing this while on the plane flying out to Miami so won't upload it until I'm there. I've been very excited about going to Miami. I've been listening to salsa & Latin music to get me in the mood. I've been planning what I'm going to wear on the beach & when people watching. I even got in the mood by drinking mojitos.

What only struck me a day or so ago is that this is my first trip to America, well to the USA part of North America. I decided to make myself a playlist of my favourite US music which has stirred up some interesting feelings and thoughts. The playlist contains 70 songs all guitar based & mostly alternative rock or country / blues. There are reoccurring themes within the songs of motorbikes, travel, oppressive small towns, cowboys, drinking beer and the American Dream. Bob Dylan has the honour of having the most songs on the list. 2 featuring him, one cover (Hendrix's All along the watchtower) and a song by his son (one head lamp.)

Listening to the songs has made me think about what it means to be visiting America? American culture is hard to escape anywhere in the world but in Britain it's almost second nature. I grew up watching Sesame Street and the muppets as well as Scooby Doo and the Flintstones. American music was and is everywhere, as are American films and TV programmes. I even studied American Cinematography at University, my favourite term was the one devoted to the Western. I didn't study British Cinematography the next year. I love British cinema, I wanted it to stay that way so chose not to study it.

I have a Pop culture view of America, formed by the X Files, Buffy, Twin Peaks, The Simpsons, sitcoms like Roseanne, cowboy films and Stephen King novels. I know the reality will be far more prosaic but I can't wait to eat fruit pie in a diner. I'll be disappointed if the waitress isn't called something suitable like Darlene!

I want everything to be bigger, louder, quirkier and more colourful than in the UK. I'm expecting a country of extremes, a marmite place full of things I love or hate. I'm hoping for more of the love though! I think visiting Miami will be an interesting glimpse of America, one watered down by the Latin and European influence. The perfect appetiser for my one day longed for road trip along the west coast and into cowboy country!

No comments: