Monday 20 July 2009

Rhubarb fool


It's been hard for me to find nice food to eat at the moment as I can't eat anything with too much fat in it or anything too rich or hot/spicy! I am living on rice, Japanese food (which I'm not complaining about) soups, bagels, soft pretzels and salads.

I have been able to eat a small amount of cake as long as I have baked it and made sure there isn't too much fat in it and plenty of ginger as good for my tummy!

Tonight for pudding I made a rhubarb fool. It was so easy to make, tasted delicious and doesn't have to be high in fat! Just sweat some chopped up rhubarb on the hob with about 30g of pale brown sugar, tea spoon of ginger and one of mixed spice for 15 mins until soft but not mush! Then mash or blend with a hand mixer until smooth. Then stir in some greek yogurt - and you can use the fat free stuff! I then added a squirt of maple syrup and sprinkled with chopped hazel nuts! Put in the fridge to cool and set slightly!

Of course real fool is made with custard but there is no way I can eat custard right now but low fat greek yogurt is ok!

The fool is sharp but full of warm spicy sweetness and nuttiness!

No comments: