Friday 6 March 2009

What to do with an old YMCA building?

Today I went to the Faculty of Wellbeing at Sheffield Hallam University. Check out my sister blog The Salmon Leaping to discover what I was up to there, but the picture of Professor Winston below gives you an idea of some of the interactive learning simulation tools I witnessed.
When I pulled up in the taxi outside the new Faculty I thought to myself "I'm sure that used to be the YMCA." Sure enough, Sara who I was meeting confirmed that indeed it was once the YMCA. I spent a very memorable weekend at the Sheffield YMCA in the autumn of 1991. I was 17, and the world seemed to be my play ground. Everything was so exciting, meeting new people, singing in the YMCA Tensing band and choir, discovering new music, dancing late into the night and drinking beer. Wonderful memories. Although they are tinged with the knowledge that I always felt inadequate and unsure of myself. What I would give to be able to tell the 17 year old me not to worry and to not be unsure but just enjoy myself!

No comments: