Sunday 27 April 2008

beautiful Belfast


Well here I am in Northern Ireland, in Belfast and enjoying a pint of Guinness in the Crown Bar. After discovering that everything apart from Tesco and Pizza Hut were shut earlier and the hotel room does not have proper Internet access I was a little dispondent. Now however I am chuffed to have found a fine example of a Victorian gin palace in the shape of the Crown Bar.

The Crown is one of Belfast's most famous pubs, it has snugs, wooden booths containing seats which face the bar, a wonderful mozaic tiled floor, stained glass windows and the craziest ceiling I have ever seen in a pub. The Guinness was indeed the finest I have ever tasted but it was my first pint in Northern Ireland and I have yet to visit Southern Ireland so who knows if it will one day be beaten... I don't think any pub could beat the Crown for friendliness, colourfulness and sheer craziness (for decor at least!)




No comments: