Sunday 9 February 2014

Flooding

We're lucky that the winter storms haven't really been too bad for us. Part of our neighbours roof came down in the storm before Christmas Eve. But otherwise it's just been a bit of a nuisance that it's been so wet and windy. 

In a break between showers on Saturday I went for a walk near our house and discovered the small stream had bust it banks. 


The stream is fed mainly by run off from the farmer's field and flows into a deep pond in one direction and eventually the Ivel river in the other direction. In the summer it sometimes resembles nothing more than a trickling stream. But at the moment it's a small river. 


The flooding wasn't very deep. I could wade through in my willies but at one point it was almost up to the top of my boots. In the photo above you can see it's very close to our housing estate. 

There wasn't much flooding elsewhere so I don't think it's particularly serious and the stream is clearly doing its job as the farmer's fields are free from standing water. 

Below is a photo of some of the berries bringing colour to the garden at the moment as I wait for my bulbs to flower. 






No comments: