Tuesday 4 February 2014

A poem a day - Days 33 - 35

Day 33

Cat

Soft grey cat naps on
My canvas "Keep Calm" bag; a
Lesson to us all. 

Day 34

Commuters

Some sleep, 
Others' thumbs are constantly twitching
A weird dance across their phones,
Some read news papers looking gloomy.

The woman next to me has no concept of space,
She flicks her hair at me, elbow in my ribs
Every two minutes she clears her throat, 
making a sound like a dove.

Over heard phone conversations, 
woman repeating "I'll stick my nose in your office"  
it sounds like a euphemism
Or simply just daft. 

As we reach our destination
Some are in a hurry, fussing and frantic 
Whilst others are more languid, almost forgetful
Wandering blearily into the day. 

Day 35

London backstreet 

News papers dance down the street
Pretty, I think, swirling, spinning a dervish
Through a bitter winter wind.
Then I see where they've escaped from
The doorway bed of a homeless person 
At the back of Camden Town Hall
Underneath the Banksy
Opposite that pub
Passed by hundreds of commuters just like me. 



No comments: