Sunday 16 February 2014

A poem a day - Day 47

Rising above 

The rattle of dead leaves 
In an absent minded breeze
Unsettling sound in the stillness 
Then overhead suddenly
White wings wink 
against a lapis lazuli sky
And the mood is lifted  
By the swoop of feathers,
A different bird to the usual buzzard
Who hovers keen eyes glinting 
Circling, seeking out the slightest rustle
Competing with our cats for the fields' rodents, 
No sign of the raptor today 
Just acres of sky mirrored in waterlogged fields
All is safe for the mice and me. 
  
I forge on across the land 
Leading to crouched farm buildings, 
Alone on the edge of the world
Earth and water slide into one
Strange bird calls vibrate along power lines
As the pylon quakes in the sun
I listen to its electric hiss. 

Sun light blanches
I reach into it 
Stretching 
Climbing
Photon by photon
Disappearing 
Into the ultra violet
Only I can see. 

That's the crux of the matter
The knot that's been pulling 
I can unpick its thread
Here and now
Unravel it fully
And if I want to 
Start again
Regardless 
And In spite of what others have said. 

I pick my way back towards home
Boots sinking into soft sodden earth
No one else knows what this feels like to me
No one else sees the water's glint as I do
And I do not taste this cold air like the hare does
As she leaps across the ploughed ridges,
Also making her way home. 

No comments: