Saturday 4 December 2010

Biggleswade Christmas Lights

Last night was the annual Christmas lights switch on in Biggleswade town centre. The Mayor said that this was a spectacle which has been celebrated since 1962. It appears that the lights themselves date back to that first "switch on" as well. You can see some grainy pictures I took of the lights and towns folk last night.
As with the summer carnival, a fayer was present in the market square, and the Sea Cadets and choral society treated us to carols and Christmas tunes. I particularly enjoyed singing O Come All Ye Faithful and O Little Town of Bethlehem. The Sea Cadets rendition of Frosty the Snow Man was also a treat.
Staunch atheist Jason, didn't really enjoy one of the local vicars, Pastor Trevor, asking everyone to pray for the lights and Christmas in general. But the Mayor soon brought the focus back to consumerism by asking everyone to contribute towards the Chamber of Commerce's Christmas Lights fund! Everyone was then encouraged to stuff their faces with candy floss, hot dogs, chips and to scream if they wanted to go faster on the waltzers.

Jase and I beat a hasty retreat to the Stratton House Hotel to have a quick dinner. When we arrived everything was set out for Christmas dinner! I was ecstatic! There is a picture below of the Stratton's Christmased up restaurant and me looking ecstatic (and like a plump farmers wife, I think.) We got the only spare table, as the rest of the restaurant was given over to a 70th birthday party. I'd had my turkey dinner and Jase his steak before the 70th birthday got going though so we didn't witness the fun!

Today I've been mainly packing ready for our move. This time next week we should be - fingers crossed - safely moved into our new house. Today I packed books and ornaments. I'm glad I've bought so much wool lately as it has been invaluable for padding out boxes!

No comments: