Tuesday 23 February 2010

Glasgow and why the news makes me mad

I am in Glasgow today and most of tomorrow for work. I'm going to be talking to some union activists at a conference.

While I'm typing this in my hotel room, the Curling is on the TV, as part of the winter Olympics. It's nail biting stuff as Britain (really Scotland as it's a Scottish game and the team are all Scots) have to win this match in order to stay in the Olympics. It's basically gone to a tie break.

When ever I am in Scotland for work there seems to be curling on the tv, Olympics or not, so it is reassuring to have it on now.

On arriving at the airport I got a cab into the centre of Glasgow, the cabbie had the local news on which ran with the following top story, presented in a breathless manner "It has been revealed today that knives and swords are the weapon of choice for committing murder in Scotland" The real news story was about the murder rate dropping! Even the BBC are at it though, they run with the headline that knife crime is at a record high, whilst paragraph 3 of the story clearly shows that actual murders were down last year. There were 20 fewer murders. The way news is reported makes me quite cross. (I also wondered about the swords in the headline, is there still a lot of dueling going on in Scotland?)

My pique was to rise considerably further whilst watching the 6 O'Clock news on the BBC. Sophie Raworth squirmed with embarrassment as she read out that Cheryl Cole is to separate from the philandering footballer Ashley Cole. She even had to explain who Cheryl Cole was in some kind of justification for why this had found its way onto her script and so the news. I have to say I admired the presenter of the BBC Scotland news who read the headline out at the close of her programme with such utter disdain and disinterest it was heart warming.

But while I'm ranting I was also shocked yesterday there was a news story about a leaked BBC memo which outlined who's death would elicit what kind of announcement and programme alterations on the BBC. I was not surprised to learn that the Queen's death and those of Prince Philip, Charles and William would be treated with maximum response, if you see what I mean. However if our Prime Minister dies this would be ranked below the royals listed above. Surely our PM who ever they are, is more important than the Queen, or I'll concede to the royalists at least as important? It was alleged that the PMs death was in a category along with Bob Dylan. The mind boggles. Maybe we should elect Bob Dylan as PM. I think he'd win right now with everyone hating the majority of politicians currently on offer!

But back to Glasgow and bonny Scotland. It is predicted to snow quite a bit tonight and tomorrow so I will endeavour to take some pictures and battle my way home against the elements.

sadly the women's curling team lost and our out of the Olympics :-(

1 comment:

Rob said...

Couldn't agree more about the news, the treatment of Haiti was appalling too - ITN and BBC were quick to say looting, rioting and violence was rife, but they were doing their voicovers from a cosy London studio. Amazingly it took Fox News(!) to tell the truth and state that the Haitians had coped with dignity. But dignity doesn't fill 24hr rolling news, whereas misery does...
As for duelling in Scotland - maybe Highlander was real, after all!