Sunday 30 August 2009

Slipped Disc

Sorry for not blogging in a fortnight. But this time 2 weeks ago I woke with bad back ache. We went out for a walk to the shops, walking usually helps my back. Whilst at the shops I tripped up a kerb in front of a small wall I was going to sit on. The wall broke my fall but from that point on my aching back became my excruciatingly painful back. I couldn't sit, bend, walk up stairs with out it going into spasm. To cut a long story short involving trips to GP and physio it turns out I have a slipped disc, which is healing but still giving me quite a lot of trouble.

Of course no longer are patients advised to have "bed rest" with a slipped disc so I had done the right thing by trying to keep as active as possible. I found some really good advice from the bmj on slipped discs. (Their site is down at the moment for emergency contingency plan testing, but hopefully will be up and running soon.) Anyway its very good advice if you ever need it (and hopefully you won't!)

Last weekend I went to Shakespeare's Globe with my Mum to see Euripides' Helen. It was an excellent production, great refreshing script which married traditional poetic language with snappy modern phrases to good effect. The acting was superb - although Helen's voice grated on me a little but I'm being very picky! I'd put a link to it but we saw the last performance!

After the theatre we went to the Wolesey for afternoon tea. Great surroundings and the cakes and scones were superb but I would have liked to see more cake - bigger slices not just novelty canape cakes! I would have liked to have seen a greater selection of tea too! If you are ever after good teas then I can really recommend the Liberty tea room / cafe! You can download a menu from the website! Teas galore my favourites are the rose tea and the Japanese cherry blossom tea, delicious and good for you!

No comments: