Monday 3 August 2009

Durham

On Saturday I went to Durham with my Mum (pictured above) We had a lovely time. Durham is a very pretty town and a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be. There are good views of the cathedral and castle from the railway station where the picture above was taken.

We spent quite a lot of time looking around Durham cathedral after having a lovely freshly baked scone in the alms house cafe. The cathedral is one of the prettiest I have been to rating up there with Lincoln. There is a very peaceful and light atmosphere in the cathedral. We saw Venerable Bede's tomb and the shrine of St Oswald. We then decided to climb to the top of the tower, some 325 steps on a narrow spiral staircase. Some of it was so narrow I had to walk sideways like a crab up the steps! Once at the top the views were spectacular even on a cloudy day, as pictured below.

view of the river

The viaduct

me on the tower roof

After climbing down the tower back to the cathedral we looked around the shops and had a lovely lunch at a cafe near one of the bridges over the river.

Below is a picture of a famous door knocker from the cathedral. It looks a bit like my cat Rookie!

No comments: