Monday 8 September 2008

QiGong


Tonight David, Francesco and I went to a QiGong class in Balham. I have been looking for a QiGong class for a couple of years now and this one was great. It's held in a church hall and there were about 8 of us which was just the right size. QiGong is the oldest form of exercise recorded and Tai chi and marital arts like Kung Fu are based on QiGong. The basis of QiGong is the movement of Qi around the body through gentle but dynamic movements. I first heard about QiGong through my acupuncturist but then saw BBC3s programme Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves which featured some QiGong and I thought I want to try that! So now I did, and I will be going back again next week. I like the challenge of it. The stand for 15 minutes in the same position meditating challenge of it (although that isn't what you have to do but you can if you want to.) A mind battle not too dissimilar to long distance running which of course I am not allowed to do any more because of my knee!

No comments: