Thursday 25 September 2008

Over heard mobile phone conversations

It always amazes me what people will say loudly in public on a mobile phone. I mean I have a loud voice like Vera Duckworth through a PA system at Wembley Stadium so I try not to talk about personal stuff on the mobile for that very reason. A few weeks back I was in a supermarket with Jase, quite late at night; we had just left the cinema and were picking up a bottle of milk. There was a young South African woman pacing up and down the dairy isle having the most intriguing conversation on her mobile which the whole super market could hear. Through out the conversation her tone was angry and her voice loud. It went something like this...

"Well the flat is just full of dust.... yes everywhere dust and it is not going to get any better.... no it won't because they are doing building works so the dust is going to get worse" Then she started speaking very quickly to prevent the other person from butting in "So I know you aren't going to like this but I am moving back in with you tomorrow. Yes tomorrow I am moving back in....It's all booked, my stuff is packed. I'll be back tomorrow. I know you don't want me to but I am. I am moving back in with you and that is final."

I guess you only speak like that to a member of your family or an ex, but you never know there are some interesting people out there.

I also caught the tail end of a conversation this week which also intrigued me the man who runs the bagel stall at the station was saying to a customer "not a morning goes past when someone doesn't raise human rights with me." The customer a business man of middle age nodded sagely. I pondered for quite a while why bagels would cause customers to raise human rights issues but in the end decided it must be to do with the fair trade coffee the stall sells. Or maybe there is some big human / bagel rights violation that I am unaware of and need to be educated about? Another thing to add to my list of things to worry about along with not forgetting my bag for life when I go shopping.

No comments: