Saturday 28 June 2008

Wimbledon


I have just had a wonderful day at Wimbledon Tennis Championships. We got up at the crack of dawn and walked for an hour to get to the queue for Wimbledon. Actually getting to the grounds took 45 mins but another 15 mins was spent rolling down the hill to get to the Car Park 10 where the queue began. We got there before 7 but guessed that would not be in time to get show court tickets. We were 4149 and 4150 in the queue. After buying a Guardian with free sun screen and rain poncho we read for a bit and people watched.
At a bit before 8 I joined another queue for bacon rolls and burgers (although I had a hot dog!) I don't think I have ever queued so long for food and I promised myself that what I ever I ate at the end of it would be the best tasting food ever because I had queued so long. 55 minutes after joining the food queue I was finally sitting back on the rain poncho enjoying my hard waited for grub!

Just before 11 we got into the grounds and made our way to court 18 to see Sugiyama's match. We sat amongst a big groups of Japanese people here to support Sugi or Sugi-san as they called her. The match was much closer than the score made it seem.
The match was quite long for a 2 setter and we didn't get lunch until nearly 3. I had pimms and a Dutchee for lunch. A dutchee is a very posh sausage in a baguette with onion marmalade. Delish!

We then went to Court 3 for two matches first there was Petrova narrowly beating Azarenka (below) and then the ladies doubles with two British women, Ann Keothavong and Melanie South. Excellent match and a great atmosphere.

I didn't get home until 8 and was able to catch the end of the Nadal match on TV - bizarre!

A wonderful day, some very odd people, some great tennis and gorgeous food. Brilliant!

No comments: