Tuesday 7 August 2012

Bulrushes and finches

Water plantsSummer cloudsOatsSun through cloudsBulrushesNew path
Bulrushes close toGold finchwood pigeonRowan berriesGold finch blue skyGreen glade

Bulrushes and finches, a set on Flickr.

I've had a lovely day today including coffee with friends at lunch time, gardening and a lovely walk to Homebase. On my walk I came across some bulrushes, I'm not sure how I missed them last week when I walked down the same path. I'm glad I noticed them today.

When I was little and bulrushes weren't rare and protected I used to pick a couple each year and keep them in a bucket of water in the garden. Our neighbour had tamed a wild owl so he'd sit on his arm and the owl was fascinated by the bucket of bulrushes. So when ever I see bulrushes I always think of that owl.

I didn't see any owls but I saw some lovely gold finches which I tried to photograph but it was very hard to focus on them!

1 comment:

Morag said...

I used to live in a house with some bullrushes at the bottom of the garden. My memory is cutting some & putting them in a vase, only to get up the next day and find they had 'exploded'.