Sunday 5 June 2011

Catch up!

I meant to write this entry back in May!

I met up with my friend Ruth back in May in London on a Sunday. We decided to go to Covent Garden, where I've not been for ages. We got there before 12 so it was relatively quiet for that part of London. Below is a picture of the band who were playing a mixture of lively folk tunes and classical. They're pictured below dancing to one of their folk tunes.

The picture below is one of the indoor market at Covent Garden, the band are by the stairs.
It was a really lovely day spent around Covent Garden. We went to the Victoria market on the opposite side of Covent Garden where I picked up some bargains including a lovely glass necklace.

We had lunch at Cafe Rouge and spent some time mooching around Waterstones. In Waterstones I came across a book by Karen Maitland called Company of Liars. I didn't buy it but when I got home I downloaded it for my kindle. I read it in a few days and found it incredibly haunting. Its set in 14th Century Britain during the first outbreak of the plague. The characters in the book are travelling away from the outbreaks across England. It wasn't the most historically accurate nor the best written book I've ever read (by a long shot,) but it was fascinating and I couldn't put it down!

From Company of Liars I came across a book on Amazon called a Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness which is one of the silliest and frothiest books I've read in a long time but I couldn't put it down. Here's a good piece in the guardian about the book. It was the perfect piece of escapism to read whilst I was waiting for my op in hospital and recovering!



No comments: