Tuesday 10 August 2010

My lady bird army!


I noticed yesterday morning that literally over night my chilli plant had become infested with little white green fly grubs! Yuck, the little critters were everywhere! Because the weather has been so bad over the last couple of weeks I hadn't been able to put the chilli plant out in the garden so I guess this is how it happened. Yesterday was surprisingly glorious though, so out went the chilli plant. I put it near another plant which has been colonised by lady birds.

I hoped that maybe a lady bird or two might jump on to the chilli plant and feast on the nasty little green fly larvae. Well the lady birds certainly found there way to the plant as did the little wasp things that love green fly. My own wee beastie army eating all the evil larvae!

For good measure before bringing it in at night I blasted the plant with a fine spray of water hoping that would knock off any left.

This morning I thought I'd inspect the plant back in its sunny position in our hall. I found one little white grub but before I could rub it off the leaf I noticed a lady bird heading for it! After closer inspection there are at least two lady birds still on the plant chomping away at any grubs they find!
I tried to get a couple of pics of them which you can see here.

I am very grateful to my lady bird army for keeping the green fly at bay. Nature truly is wondrous!


No comments: