Saturday 12 June 2010

"Slow culture"

Earlier this week when I was listening to the Lauren Lavern show on BBC 6 Music (which in my opinion should not be axed) there was a discussion about "slow culture" which seems to be a new buzz word for being a bit of an old fart! Well I'm saying that including myself as an old fart. Slow culture seems to be about 30 and 40 somethings who were drinking hard and being all "rock and roll" in the 80s and 90s who now have decided to try quieter pursuits such as gardening, fishing, bird watching, home brewing and baking, knitting and spending time generally pottering about.

Well I suppose with out the label that's what I've been doing or trying to slow down. So I'm knitting a scarf - very slowly - so that is slow clothes purchasing in my book and cheap! I've also been gardening. Above is a picture of one of the opium poppies that are over running our garden. I haven't the heart to pull them up although they do spread like wild fire. They are grotesquely beautiful on my flickr feed you can see another picture of the poppies with the huge Venus fly trap like buds. They make me wonder if flowers were like that in the age of the dinosaurs? I'm sure the birds will appreciate the seeds.

Above is a picture of a bee on the a fox glove - I think its a bee I'll look it up on line. Then below is a picture of a female blackbird who loves the apple halves I put out so much that she will happily peck at them whilst I'm in the garden with her! We have blackbirds and wood pigeons nesting in our neighbours hedge they use our garden as a fast track to the nests so there is constant flapping and darting about going on in our back garden.
Below is an update picture of the pots I planted about 2 weeks ago; already the herbs have grown and I've been using them in my cooking.
Lastly is a blurred picture taken on my mobile some signets with their parents. We watched them this morning down by the weir in Biggleswade. At first they were on the land with the signets but after a while they took to the water.
So all in all it's been a "slow culture" weekend so far.

No comments: