Saturday 27 March 2010

Normal service resumes

In case anyone was worried that my blog was becoming dominated with big, life changing decisions, I'd just like to assure you that I'm still taking photos of food I've cooked!


As requested by @EG75 on twitter, so here is a picture of my special cottage pie! It's special because it has cherry tomatoes in it as well as the usual onions, beef mince and carrot. I also put in fresh thyme, some mixed spice and Worcester sauce. The mash is with out cheese because Jase doesn't like cooked cheese and I shouldn't really have it, but the cheese really goes well with the addition of cherry tomatoes.

I have to thank my lovely friend Urzula for inspiring me to cook this cottage pie; when we had coffee yesterday she told me she had made a shpherds pie for the first time the other night. Urszula is Polish, she saya that in Poland they have similar dishes but nothing just like a shepherds pie, so it was something new for her to cook. It made me realise that I take the humble shepherds and cottage pie very much for granted so I really wanted to make one. It is one of my brother's favourite meals, shepherd's pie and my Mum would always cook it as a treat for us. In fact for a while when my brother wouldn't eat onions (he said they were worms - I'd like to say this was last year but no it was when he was about 7) my Mum would make him his own separate shepherd's pie!

So the humble cottage and shepherds pie we salute you!