Thursday 26 February 2009

Train journey to Inverness

Written at mid day 26/02/09

It is one of those watery after the storm days. Great big cotton wool clouds scudding across a water colour sky. The wind isn’t as fierce or as cold as yesterday but still blustery. Some of the clouds look quite ominously grey and rain heavy to me, but I am safe on my train just crossing the Forth. I can see Inch Keith and the Bin (a prominent local hill to Burntisland) with it’s TV mast. There are quite a few boats in the Forth wending their way to the sea. I have 3 and a half hours of beautiful scenery to take in as I journey north.

I associate Inverness with healing. The first time I visited in 1997 I had been very ill after teaching at the Ridings School. I also spent a week in Inverness three years ago when recovering from another difficult episode in my life. Since then I have visited twice to see Lorraine and her not so little boy now, Ben. I just always feel so much more relaxed in Scotland, the people are more laid back and friendly (certainly more so than in London!) and the countryside is so immediate and accessible.

Thinking about laid back Scots I got stopped in the street by a friendly Edinburgh drunk at a bus stop on the North Bridge. He reeked of alcohol and asked me if I could direct him to Waterloo station because he wanted to see the sunset over it and started slur waterloo sunset by the Kinks. Even the drunks in Scotland are more cultured and relaxed. I said he’d have to get a train to London if he wanted to see such a sight

I also read a good Billy Connolly quote today in a book in my hotel room.

“In Scotland there is no such thing as bad weather just inappropriate clothing. Get a rain mac!”

No comments: