Saturday 31 May 2008

Shalford

Jase and I went to Guildford yesterday for the day. I haven't been back to Guildford for ten years. The last time I visited it was to camp in Stoke Park on a glorious August wekend for what was called back then The Guildford Folk Frstival. It was a great weekend highlights being swimming in the lido, Vicky Clayton, Kyla and Beth Orton. When we arrived in Guildford yesterday there were rather ominous black clouds over head. The centre of Guildford hasn't changed that much although there is now a Greggs and a big West Country Pasty shop in the town centre.

I wanted to avoid the crowds of shoppers so we went to the castle and then walked to Shalford. I had hoped to have lunch at the Seahorse but there was a wedding reception on. We walked up past my Granny's old street and my Dad's old junior school. I hadn't been back to Shalford since my Granny's funeral but Shalford hasn't changed much; there was a cricket match on and the traffic was horrific. The garage was closed down and weeds were growling up through cracks in the fore court. There was however a coffee and sandwich bar open so we bought a picnic lunch and ate it on the common.

No comments: