Sunday 11 May 2008

Book shopping

Sorry I've not posted in a few days but I've been lazy and technical errors yesterday wouldn't let me! I've not been up long so my head is still a little thick with sleep. (It's always a little thick generally. )

I haven't been up to much lately, yesterday I walked into Wimbledon and then went into London on the hunt for some books. A few years back now I came across a really good review for a book by a "New" sci-fi writer Liz Williams, but I couldn't get hold of the book anywhere, not even Amazon. In the end I tracked down one of her previous books, Empire of Bones in a shop in Manchester. I really enjoyed it and meant to read more of her books.

About a year ago I ordered her book, Banner of Souls which is the one that I had read the original review of. I have only just got round to reading it. Again it is a fabulous book, incredibly vivid and very distinctive. I discovered that Liz Williams has started writing a series of detective, sci-fi books, which also involve demons, heaven and hell and are set in China. So I went on the hunt for these new books. Books etc. in Wimbledon, I was pleased to find had loads of her books, so I got a couple of her pure sci-fi ones but I had to go to Waterstones Piccadilly to track down the detective series. I have started reading the first Inspector Chen novel, and I am enjoying that immensely. Liz Williams has a fascinating blog too; as well as being a sci-fi writer, she runs a witch craft supplies shop in Glastonbury.

I also went to the newly done up Japan Centre (see entry on 24th April) I was really pleased to find that it sells little versions of the pots of fruit in jelly that I ate so much of in Japan. The jelly is made from bean paste so it is softer than jelly made with gelatin, and also of course vegetarian.

Here is a picture of my parents new dog Millie. She is an 18 month old chocolate Labrador and she is a failed police sniffer dog, so she may well have a few issues! I should get to meet her in a week when I go to stay with my Mum and Dad before an event in Bradford.

No comments: