Tuesday 4 March 2014

A poem a day - 62 and 63

Day 62

Bulbs

Emerging 
from soft 
winter beds
green fragile 
fronds feather
towards the light
papery petals 
soaked in 
newborn wetness 
arrive 
violent lips 
framing 
dark mouths 
crying their arrival
demanding attention: 
Look at me! 


Day 63


My mind is like an attic 
An exciting attic of childhood adventures
Old chests brimming with costume,
Button boxes, a dress makers dummy
Draped in exotic cloth,
An old Hong Kong paper parasol 
Eclectic, well loved treasures 
I can simply wear or parade about in

But sometimes this attic feels like a hoarders den
Stuffed to the rafters with bus receipts 
Strewn carrier bags orange and blue
Filled with resentment and resignation
Empty crisp bags rattle with boredom 
I drown amongst the detritus of my life
Swamped in frustration

Worst of all is the nightmare attic
Cobwebs drift, corners shift with shadows
Dust chokes thick as smoke
Rats scurry startling me 
sharp teeth bright eyes
Gleaming through the gloom
As something creaks back and forth
Wheezing out of view. 

I'm trying to redevelop 
Revamp and renovate
Create a space I'm happy in
Full of light slanting 
Cutting through the dust
Turning what was once scary
Into golden shining motes
Cobweb corners into pristine patterns
Of fascination and wonder
Serenity and peace. 

No comments: