Friday 24 September 2010

Office Politics

It's been a busy week this one. On Monday I met with the Met Police about the work I'm doing for them as a recruitment consultant. In the afternoon I got an email asking if I could possibly help out with some events at RADAR, so I said yes. I found myself on Tuesday at the RADAR offices agreeing to work up to 4 days a week at their offices for a month!

Then on Thursday it was the Inclusion London Seminar that I had been organising and also presenting at. That involved a 5 AM start and the stress of organising the morning registration, all the access requirements etc. We had the usual issues, a BSL interpreter was a bit late, the plasma screen wouldn't work and the speech to text typist was not happy at the amount of work she had to do. In the end the seminar went very well and Inclusion London have had really good feed back.

Then today I started work at RADARs offices. I haven't been in an office since the 12th May. So it was strange to come back to this kind of setting. It's made me realise offices all over the country are exactly the same though and already I feel like one of the ganag. In just one afternoon, the milk ran out but was promptly bought, the printer had an issue, someone printing a huge ammount of important stuff got interrupted and unhappy, cookies were brought into the office, I recieved a call from the Sun newspaper problem page and didn't know what to do with the call.

Yep that's right the Sun's agony aunt called wanting to speak to RADAR's media person - who I was able to track down with the help of a colleague.

It made me realise that once you've worked in one office you can just easily sink into just about any other office in the world.

No comments: