Sunday 23 May 2010

Biggleswade

I have been living in Biggleswade now for just over a week and so thought it was about time that I introduced you to some of the delights of my new home. Above is a picture of the trees outside our house. It makes such a difference to look out on to the lush leaves rather than the concrete of south Wimbledon. The trees are teeming with life from creepy crawlies and spiders who also like to explore our house, to birds and squirrels. Some of the birds are quite tame accustomed to being fed but the squirrels are incredibly shy. Sometimes the bird song is so loud and varied that I feel like I'm in a rain forest!

Below is a photo of the market square and a lovely coffee shop called Surfin' cafe, they're into the web surfing rather than the wet suit and surf board kind. The baked goods, cakes and sandwiches are superb as is the coffee. Behind the cafe you can see part of the bus station which also doubles as a Karate Dojo hence it's rather Japanese architecture. The market is held every Saturday - we went along yesterday and I bought some knitting needles and wool. I was trying for 5 hours yesterday to remember how to knit properly but just couldn't get it right! I may try again later today! If I still can't make head or tale of it I do have a couple of neighbours who I am sure will be able to give me some pointers! Biggleswade has a large population of over 60s.
Biggleswade also has a large population of under 25s particularly children so it is a good mix population wise. There are lots of town centre pubs which you'd expect for a market town on the Great North Road. Below is a picture of one of the pubs just off the market square.

Anyway I hope that gives you a picture of what Biggleswade is like. I hope to go for a walk along the river this week so I'll take some proper pictures then. We also should have broadband this week which will mean I can get back to blogging regularly!

1 comment:

Jon Jacob said...

Pleased to see you're settled in. Biggleswade looks alright .. ;)