Sunday 31 January 2010

Hurrah for the weekend


I have really enjoyed this weekend, for lots of reasons including my walk in the park today but more about that and the pictures later.

This weekend has been great because it is the first proper weekend I've had since early November. When I've been off work the days have run into one another and weekends become just another day losing their meaning to me. A weekend is only meaningful if you've been working in the week.

This week was my first one back at work and also my first week working part time. It went really well and when the weekend came around I was so happy. I think this weekend has been the best ever because it has redefined my week and brought me back into the real routine of things. It isn't just that though, in the past I used to live for the weekend and then spend the whole of it dreading the week ahead. Now that I'm working part time, I'm not dreading the week ahead at all, it seems manageable and I'm just glad to be at work at all.

Last week was really busy I was in Doncaster last weekend, started back at work on Monday then on Wednesday my Mum came to visit. We went to see Six Degrees of Separation at the Old Vic. The play was excellent very thought provoking, entertaining and full of surprises. There is one scene involving a naked man, saying any more would ruin the surprise, but this scene certainly got the audience' attention. The cast are excellent and it is much larger than the 3 stars advertised.

After going to the theatre we went out for a meal at the Boisdale a Scottish restaurant and Jazz club. My meal was delicious, I started with haggis, scallops and bacon with butternut squash puree, which was superb, I then had steak which was also excellent. I didn't fancy a pudding so had a wee dram of Linkwood whisky which is one of my favourites.

The rest of the week including writers group and Friday at work (I will usually have Thursday and Friday as non working days.)

I did feel totally exhausted on Friday, but in a really good way, I felt physically tired but not mentally drained and weary as I have often done in the past.

Today I went for a walk along the Wandle, the picture above is of a tree across the Wandle in Morden Hall Park.

Here is another view of the Wandle with a lovely old bridge across it. The Park was very busy today, even though it was bitterly cold. The sun was shining which certainly made the walk enjoyable. I didn't have my proper camera with me so I had to take the pictures with my mobile.

I've got a quieter week ahead of me, though I am looking forward to going to the BFI to see Late Autumn (or 秋日和 Akibiyori in Japanese) part of the BFI Ozu festival

No comments: