Wednesday 30 December 2009

Farewell 2009, hey there 2010!

I don't particularly like the misty eyed, summing up of the year stuff that goes on in the media this time of year, nor the setting of resolutions that just get broken by the 10th January. New Year can end up being maudlin, disappointing and lonely for so many people. It's only an arbitrary date in the calendar. I prefer the pagan idea of New Year actually being at Hallowe'en seems to make more sense to have new year then, as the winter sets in. Or be like the Romans and have new year in March as spring begins. I also like Chinese New Year, it's always so colourful and joyful. Most of this year will be Chinese year of the Tiger, and I was born in a tiger year which is cool.

I chose the picture above to sum up 2009 for me. It's cherry blossom, so of course relates to Japan and my wonderful holiday there. The blossom in fact was photographed on my mobile phone in St James' Park London. 2009 may, indeed I hope be, the last full year I spend living in London as Jase and I are looking to move out of London in 2010. I also think that cherry blossom is hopeful and 2009 has been a difficult year in some ways but a wonderful year in others. With out hope I wouldn't have enjoyed the wonderful times.

So here's to more wonderful times in 2010!

No comments: