Wednesday 18 January 2017

What Great Disability Awareness and Service Looks Like

So I'm writing this post because I have just experienced some of the best customer service in a cafe or shop in a long time. It left me wanting to praise this member of John Lewis' staff publicly. It was only when I was composing my tweet to John Lewis that I realised that not only was it great customer service but a fantastic example of disability awareness. I had been helped in a way which actually made me completely unaware that the motivation for the help was because of my sight impairment. It was like ninja disability awareness!

When I sat down at my table in the John Lewis cafe in Birmingham with my coffee and sauasage sarnie I did so smiling because a member of staff had been so helpful. But as I thought about it I was puzzled. It was almost as if this member of staff knew I was partially sighted. But because I had my hands full with bags and a rucksack on my back, I wasn't using my symbol cane. How had this John Lewis staff member known?

Well the whole thing went like this.

I arrived in the cafe and made my way to the "hot food" stand. There was a couple waiting in front of me. The chap serving cheerfully greeted me and said "We're just waiting for some fresh bacon and sausages."
"Ok" I said, looking at the menus pinned to a board next to me but that menu was for lunch.
"Do you know what you'd like?" He asked.
"Um that's the lunch menu do you have a breakfast one?"
The chap in front of me indicated it was in front of him and moved aside so I could look at it. Of course I had to get up close to read it. I am guessing at this point our breakfast server knew that I couldn't see very well. Though he didn't let on.
Instead he casually started to tell me what was on offer.
"I'll have a sausage sandwich" I decided.

So the fresh food came out and the couple in front of me were served. Then it was my turn. After making up my sandwich the chap told me very clearly where the cutlery was and asked me if I wanted a drink. There was quite a queue at the coffee station so I asked him if there was somewhere else to get a coffee. Her replied
"Yes there is, we have a couple of machines, and it's the exact same coffee beans. Look I'll show you where it is."

And so he left his station and took me to the coffee machine where he made me my Americano. On our way over there he offered to carry my tray because "you have a lot of bags." I politely declined.

He made sure I got to the till safely and left me there after I had thanked him profusely.

Now that might all have been just good customer service and if so that's great because everyone will benefit from that. But in hindsight I think he was particularly attentive because he'd worked out that I couldn't see very well and might struggle using the coffee machine.

I know John Lewis provide disability awareness training for their staff and take customer service very seriously. It really shows when things like this happen. I'm usually not a fan of this kind of canteen / self service set up but John Lewis are clearly making sure that it works for all of their customers. If only other retailers could take a leaf out of their book.

No comments: