Saturday 26 September 2015

Day 2 in the Big Apple

We had another really busy day yesterday in the Big Apple. First of all we visited B&H camera and video store. It's massive with an overhead conveyerbelt truck system which transports goods around the shop. Being run by Orthodox Jews it's shut on the sabbath and next week due to a Jewish holiday. So yesterday morning was our only chance to have a look around. 

We then went for a walk along the highline - a disused elevated railway line transformed into a park. I picked up a pretzel from a truck before we set off though! 

Flowers on the highline. 

The highline has some amazing views of some iconic buildings. 

Empire State Building above the roof tops. 

The Chrysler building 

After walking the High Line we wandered around the meat packing district which I really liked. Cobbled streets, converted warehouses and brownstones. We walked down one tree lined street that could have been Sesame Street. 

We then went to Union Square to grab lunch and do some shopping. We went to Dylan's Candy Bar which is a Willy Wonkeresque kaleidoscope of candy! I wish I could take my niece Antonia here she would be in heaven! Due to my high blood pressure and related health stuff I abstained from buying any sweets for me! I know I resisted the massive box of jelly beans! Jelly beans are my major weakness. 

I made up for my saintliness in Dylan's by spending in Barnes and Noble the largest book store in the world. I bought a book about one of the USA's first law enforcers. Girl Waits With Gun by Amy Stewart looks like a a great read! Jase found a card strategy game to buy and I got a Cookie Monster  and here he is: 


We then walked up past the flatiron building stopping at the Lego store. 

For dinner we went out to a lovely Thai restaurant. We got back to the hotel in time for the new Muppet Show :-) 



No comments: