Wednesday 6 June 2012

Hospital, barn owl & Jubilee

Hospital news

I was back at Moorfields Hospital tonight. The good news is that my left eye - the one I was having all the problems with after surgery last year - is looking much better! I can now come off the eye drops and hope that it all stays ok.

Meanwhile the problem I had originally with my left eye I also have in my right eye. It's like getting a cataract (although I don't have a lens!) My right eye is my weaker eye but it has become even more weak and everything looks quite misty and murky through it. My consultant decided that it would be good thing to operate on my right eye as well. He's hoping that by operating on it my general vision will improve and some of the double vision issues I have should be eased.

So I'm in for day surgery at the beginning of July.

I had my pre-op assessment straight away and the nurse discovered that my blood pressure was very high. So I'll have to see my GP tomorrow. I was due to go to see a GP anyway because I think I need to up my antidepressants as I've not been well at all, mental health wise over the last few weeks.

Mood lifting 


When I got home we had the pleasure of seeing a barn owl flying just above the trees and hedgerow which our bedroom window looks out onto. I thought I wouldn't be able to see the owl as the trees are a fair distance from our house. But I could see the owl with the naked eye, as the setting sun lit it's pale wings and back. I then was able to follow him flying with my binoculars for about 5 or 10 minutes. Jase got some photos of the owl but he didn't have his camera set up quite right. But with his photos you can see the heart shaped face of the owl.

It was a totally magical thing to watch, such a serene bird, almost ethereal swooping and gliding looking for it's prey!

Jubilee news


I'm no royalist but in my old age I must be getting soft, I cried at Wills and Kate's wedding last year and this year I quite enjoyed seeing the bunting and people of the UK celebrating the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. On Monday evening we had our own "escape the jubilee telly" evening with friends. I did take along jelly and ice cream which seemed to go down a treat. So although it was a great night and we certainly did manage to escape the BBCs sycophantic and  fawning coverage, we had our own jelly and ice cream nod to the Jubilee celebrations!

No comments: