Wednesday 14 July 2010

banana loaf and Spanish delights

Due to popular demand I have blogged 2 pictures of the banana loaf I made today. I was busy making a sauce for patatas bravas and planning to make a spanish tortilla when I noticed I had some ripe bananas that would need to be used today or tomorrow at the latest. So I thought I'd just knock up a banana loaf and throw in a few ripe strawberries as well! I'll come back to the other recipes in a minute but the banana loaf was a doddle. The recipe was a BBC good food one and you can get it here.

I didn't jazz is up with nuts and stuff and I didn't have butter milk so I just improvised. I kept the same measurements but I used dark muscavado sugar, added some ripe strawberries to the mash, a dash of lemon juice, I used half butter half low fat spread, and just normal semi skimmed milk. It didn't take quite 1 hour and 15 mins to cook about 1 hour 5. I wasn't sure how it would turn out as I didn't have baking paper so had to just grease the whole tin but it worked fine. That's why I took a pic of it in the tin in case it was in pieces by the time it was out of the tin!


having just tried a slice, before I freeze it for the weekend, I can say it is very tasty! Very bananary and the strawberry is very sweet. In fact the banana and strawberry go so well I think I'll call it "banana and strawberry smoothy cake" because that's what it looks like when you pour the banana and strawberry mix in!
The sauce I made was for patatas bravas I based it on a few recipes I saw which were from different parts of Spain. I slowly sweated onions, garlic, a red chilli and diced red pepper for about half an hour until the pepper was soft but not mushy. Then I added some chunky chopped fresh tomatoes with some paprika, and red wine vinegar (and a dash of Worcestershire sauce) and let that bubble away very gently and slowly for ages until everything was soft. I then mashed the hell out of it and got the sauce just how I wanted it, thick with real pieces of onion, pepper and tomato but definitely a sauce! It tasted good too but I'm freezing it for the weekend. The final ingredient when I heat it up for serving is to throw in some shredded fresh sage from the garden!

The other thing I made was spanish tortilla pictured below while I was frying it, slowly, very slowly. I put onion, potato and red pepper in this one.

And below is the finished article. It's quite a thin tortilla but I don't like the really thick cakey ones they give me a headache! Again another one for me to freeze for the weekend!

No comments: